- Andrea BraganzaK-3 Teacher
Andrea first began teaching children working for the Pacific Arts Center in Seattle, which brought her into a variety of different settings as an artist-in-residence. She attended Seattle University and graduated in 1999 with a Masters In Teaching degree and K-8 certification. She worked for 9 years as the art specialist at The Bertschi School in Seattle, a leading private elementary school.
- Zoë HughesMiddle School Science and Math
Zoë graduated from Washington State University with a BS in Biology, beginning her career doing hands-on chemistry and microbiology in the quality lab at the Pyramid Brewery. Her first foray into K-12 education was developing a chess curriculum for public elementary schools. She earned her MS in Secondary Education at Canisius College (New York), completing internships emphasizing inquiry-based and cooperative learning.
- Lauretta HydeMiddle School Social Studies
When her children were young, Lauretta made a profession out of storytelling, offering Artists-in-Residence programs in the local schools. She probably would have stayed with storytelling forever had it not been for her older son’s experience at Harbor School. Initially drawn to the school because of its low student-teacher ratio, she quickly became enamored of its service learning and travel study emphasis.
- Alisara MartinArt Teacher
Alisara graduated from The Evergreen State College with a BA in International Studies & Contemporary Art History. She then attended The School of Art Institute of Chicago earning a BFA in Print Media. She completed her MFA at Cranbrook Academy of Art in Print Media. Prior to coming back to Vashon (she graduated VHS), Alisara worked as an Artist Assistant, Film Curator, Exhibition Artist, Graphic Designer and Arts Administrator.
- Joleen McCauleyUpper Elementary Teacher
Joleen is a beloved fixture in Vashon Island education, having had multiple roles over her years in our public schools, including her vaunted success with the Chautauqua multi-age elementary program. Joleen is thrilled to be part of a strong teaching team at Harbor School and Carpe Diem. She joined the faculty at Harbor School in 2015 as a K-3 teacher at Carpe Diem and is now the multi-age Upper Elementary (4th/5th grade) teacher.
- Niamh PrinceAdmissions Director
In 2010, Niamh began her involvement at Harbor School as a volunteer parent when her daughter Amelia entered 4th grade. She has played a key role in Harbor School’s annual auctions in addition to serving as parent volunteer coordinator prior to becoming Admissions Director. Niamh has an extensive background in office administration both in the United States and in Europe.
- Teri RutledgeHead of School Prior to Harbor School, Teri Rutledge served as the Director of Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment at Villa Academy in Seattle, Washington. Teri has her National Board Certification as a Middle Childhood Generalist, a Bachelor of Arts in US History from Western Washington University, and a Master of Science in Curriculum and Instruction from Western Governors University
- Todd WoosterMiddle School English Todd comes to us after four years of teaching at Seacrest Country Day School, an independent school in Naples, Florida. Todd has a Bachelor of Art with a Major in English from Dartmouth College and is completing a Masters in English Studies from the Universite de Lyon 2 in France – his thesis is 20th Century American Poetry.
- Jon HowlandMiddle School Math
A graduate of the University of Puget Sound, Jon earned a master’s degree in education from The City College of New York and taught in Harlem and the Bronx for four years. After returning home to the Pacific Northwest in 2011, Jon taught math to ten cohorts of Rainier Scholars and directed the math department at Explorer West Middle School for seven years.
- Jenny CardenasSpanish Teacher
Jenny has proudly been teaching Spanish, English and Theatre Arts to students ranging from preschoolers to adults, beginner levels to AP Spanish over the past twenty years. Earning her degrees in Spanish from the University of North Texas and the University of Valencia in Spain, she has gained experience and success teaching at various schools from New York to Los Angeles where she currently resides. Jenny is also a professional musician/performer and owns “Broadway Babies”, a theatre education enrichment program for elementary-aged children.